Thursday, March 3, 2011

Be Inspired Blog Hop - Aaron Christensen's visit to the Land of Seuss

Some of my artist friends and I have noticed an increasing amount of how-to's and knock off blogs that stray into the realm of copyright infringement, which is simply the stealing of others art. As an artist with art and artworks featured worldwide, this has me concerned and disappointed. So, to help the blogosphere out, and add a dose of originality, several of us (see permalinks below) are posting about how you can be inspired by another without stealing from them. Before you glean someone's art from google images, color copy it from a catalog, scan it with your scanner or take snippets of it to use in your art, please consider being an original. It's a great way to go and it will keep you out of hot water.

That being said, I'd like to introduce you to my art inspiration, he's Dr. Seuss. His 107th birthday was yesterday. I am a collector of vintage Dr. Seuss memorabilia and grew up with his books. To illustrate our point about being being inspired yet original, I'm sharing with you my faux taxidermy project. I've created this quip to get you into a Seuss frame of mind.

I made it my own with Seuss in my thoughts. A tribute to him, no stealing, no cops. Now look what I did, enjoy it you may. Now look what I did, be inspired this way. As you sit on your bumple, scratching your head, "what is it to be original, what is it I said?" It's a place in your heart, a place in mind, a place that all artists must honestly find. - A.C.



These are copyrighted characters and sculptures created by Dr. Seuss- Theodore Geisel. Property of Dr. Seuss Enterprises, all rights reserved. This image is being used to explain an editorial point and I claim no ownership of this photograph or it's contents.

Here in my studio we are lucky enough to have the materials and the know how to create magical things out of thin air. If I chose to, I could copy one of Dr. Seuss's character mounts, or to be really bad I could post a blog how-to and teach you all how to do it. But I'd never do that because it is morally wrong and frankly illegal. So to illustrate how he has inspired me as an artist, I'm in the process of creating my own wild character wall mount with Seuss-like silly characteristics, but it's 100% my own idea. She's something I dreamt up, created in sketch form and then sculpted into three dimensions.

She's a Bird Nesting Head Doe, a rare jungle treat.
She carries bird eggs till their up, up on their feet.


In her second stage of sanding, she's taking shape.
I'll need to finish her features, prime and paint her.

As she progresses, I'll post some new pictures here. I'd love to hear suggestions as to what her name should be. I have her new home picked out, it's just above my drawing table.
dr. seuss, dr. seuss inspired, taxidermy, dr. seuss taxidermy, by Aaron Christensen
Here she is, long eyelashes, whiskers and all.



I hope my example illustrates the difference between being inspired, using that as motivation to create something of your own and the opposite, which is duplicating and infringing upon your inspiration. Remember, it's okay to be inspired by other artists, as long as you make your art your own. Be fresh, be original and be honest, you'll enjoy it!

Please stop by my artist friends blogs to see what they've come up with.












15 comments:

  1. Great post Aaron! I love your poem and rhyming throughout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so creative Aaron, you're talented, smart and you rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent information, Aaron! I love your humor and your photos are fantastic! Thanks for linking me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. fantastic!
    i LOVE this
    "It's a place in your heart, a place in mind, a place that all artists must honestly find."

    made me a bit teary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a fabulous imagination and are so perfectly suited for your job! Great example.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaron, What a fantastical, fun project! The Lorax is still a favorite of mine. Your ideas are creatively shared. Can't wait to see your wild wall creature evolve!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaron..you are so cool and funny!! I love this example!!!! she is adorable.
    You do so many great things so well.... love your quote!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love someone who thinks outside the box! I can't wait to see the finished BNHD. Thanks for sharing your creative thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  9. First time Blog hoping and enjoying it tremendously(sp?) Original starting place was Terri Conrad Designs email. Just had to let you know I didn't know that it was Dr.Seuss' birthday till my 6yr.old Neice told me yesterday. So when I seen your blog I had to thank you for more info on him. Enjoyed your blog.
    Have a Great day!,Doris

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you everyone for dropping by! I hope my example's jumping into the 3 dimensional world was a compliment to my fellow blog hoppers 2D examples. Like Chris said, outside the box...that's where I like to roam.

    Doris, I'm not sure if you had read my previous blog post, it has a recommendation for a wonderful Seuss Movie/Documentary, I'm sure your Niece would enjoy.

    All my best to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post Aaron-you have such a great imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your sculpture! Did you ever post the DIY instructions on making our own fantastic menagerie out of simple craft supplies and up-cycled plastics?

    ReplyDelete